Travel planning might be a pain, I understand. But don’t take the fun out of your coming trips! The list below includes tried and tested resources that can help you step-by-step to plan your trips faster and easier. Leave a comment below this post if you have questions, and I will help you through. Feel free to suggest more resources so I can try and share here.
- Project Visa – a website with clear information of all countries’ visa requirements and links to their respective embassies.
- PersoFoto – Download your Visa and Passport photos for free online
FLIGHTS / TRAINS
- Skyscanner – compare best flight prices worldwide
- Rail Europe – one-stop European trains with ticketing
- Amtrak – online ticketing for trains and buses in America
- 12go – online train ticketing for Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and Singapore
- Ctrip – one-stop China trains with ticketing
- See this post for max luggage weight and size for major airlines (international flights of standard economy class)
AIR MILES / CLUB POINTS
- Points.com – a free registration website where you can manage and track all your club points from airlines, hotel bookings, car rental, to online shopping. You can even exchange points and miles between programs all in one account. Never miss a deal!
- Hotels Combined – compare best hotel prices from various hotel booking sites such as hotel.com, booking.com, agoda, and more.
- Currency Fair – currency rates under your own control with easy online money exchange and transfer. You can set your target currency rate on the site and it will exchange automatically once the market price hits your target. Only €3 (or equivalent) is charged for each transfer. Best for saving unnecessary charges in currency exchange for both personal and corporate use.
- the above chart is specially designed for your easy reference, covering major countries.
- Alternatively, you can get yourself a universal plug adaptor such as this one to save yourself some time and effort.
- HK Transport Department – if you are a HKSAR resident wishing to drive abroad, book your appointment online to apply for your international driving license from this link.
- Rental Cars – internatioanl car rental price comparison from major rental companies such as Avis, Enterprise, Hertz, and more.
- UBER – get an easy ride internationally even when you don’t have cash in hand (they accept credit card payments). Sign up and get your first ride free with this invitation code “gracec106”.
CELL PHONE / INTERNET PLANS
- Skyroam Mobile Hotspot – get your own global pocket wifi (virtual SIM) and skip the roaming fees. Unlimited data in 100+ countries including top destinations in Europe, North and South America, Asia, Africa and Australia for US$8/day. Pay as you go, without the burden of subscriptions, SIM changing, equipment rentals, counting MB data or unlocking phones.
INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL INSURANCE
- Bluecross HK – this is my personal favourite choice for travel insurance as they offer a hassle-free annual insurance plan. They are based in Hong Kong and offer online applications.
These are my personal list of preferred tools for trip planning. If you have encountered any hiccups with yours, leave a comment or email me at email@example.com , I am more than happy to help whenever I can.